What To Do With Old Keys
Over the course of your lifetime, it is very likely that you will go through a good number of keys. You’ll have different house keys, business keys, storage keys, gym keys and so one and so forth. So what you are supposed to do when you end up with a handful of old keys that you no longer need? If someone who is dangerous gets their hands on them, are they able to do anything with them? Are you concerned about recycling and don’t want yet another item to end up in the trash? Avondale Locksmith Stars works in the Avondale, Arizona area and they have put together some ideas as to what one could do with old keys, instead of throwing them away. Have a look because who knows, maybe at some point you will find yourself with a bunch of extra keys sitting around that you don’t know what to do with.
1. Get crafty. Sometimes, the urge seems to hit us all. Whether it’s wanting to decorate ornaments for the holidays, create a photo album, or even build something, sometimes we just get the urge to do something crafty. You could easily look up projects that involve keys on an app such as Pinterest, or you could even check out a site such as Etsy to get ideas. Keys could be glued onto boxes to make a unique looking jewelry box. Keys could be glued to the top of photo frames to make a different design. And of course, keys are also popular now in terms of jewelry. You could put a key on a chain and have a necklace which perhaps means something to you. Maybe you have the key from your first house with your partner. Or maybe you held onto the key to the house you grew up in. Instead of throwing it in the trash, do something unique such as making a piece of jewelry, or using it in a project.
2. Start a key collection. Over the years, if you have been acquiring keys, you could store them away in a shoe box and then one day remember the meaning of each one of them. Perhaps you moved around a lot, and saved the keys to your different houses. Or perhaps you are just a sentimental person and each key from different parts of your life means something to you. A collection of keys, perhaps in a glass box, would be a unique way to remember special moments in your life.
3. Recycle you keys. You can take advantage of the mixed metals bin to do this. Keys can actually be melted down and then the material can be re-used. The best thing that you can do if you plan on recycling them and throwing them in a mixed metal bin is to get off stickers and take off rubber edging. This will help the recycling center out and they will be able to melt the keys down. If you have any questions, you can certainly call your local recycling location and they should be able to help you out.
4. Transform your old keys into hooks. You can do this by bending the keys with pliers and a wrench. To make them more pliable you can heat them up over a gas burner. After you do this, you can attach the keys to a piece of wood. You have hangers!
5. Transform your keys into magnets. You can glue a magnet to the back of your key and then have a keepsake that you can continue to bring with you from one house to the next. This is a clever idea and a good way to keep your keys.
6. Similar to recycling your old keys, you can donate them to charity. Keys for Kindness is one such organization that accepts key donations. This is an organization that helps to raise money using the metal from recycled keys.
7. You can use old keys as weights. Okay, so a key doesn’t actually have that much weight, so it can’t be used to hold down anything substantial, but you could put keys on curtains, for instance, to prevent them from blowing when it is a breezy day. You could also use them as paperweights.
8. Similar to paperweights and curtain weights, you could use old keys to hold balloons down. Hosting a birthday party? If you run out of string to tie balloons to banisters or seats, be sure to grab an old key to hold the balloon down. This is a clever idea and will also look unique. You could try this at a birthday party or even at a wedding in which there are balloons!
These are just some things you can do with keys that no longer are needed to open locks. When it comes to old objects that are no longer necessary, but you don’t want to completely get rid of them, you can repurpose them in a creative way. Avondale Locksmith Stars has a team of experts who love working with locks and keys. They help customers with all sorts of security solutions, from the installation of new locks and the rekeying of old locks to the installation of safes and the installation of deadbolts. But sometimes, they enjoy getting creative and coming up with new ways to repurpose old items. So if you have keys that are no longer usable to you, consider getting creative with them. You can use some of these ideas so that you can hold onto old house keys, which might hold a lot of memories for you.
Hopefully you found this information to be a bit inspirational. If you have old keys, think of new ways to use them. Whether you want to keep them for jewelry or even to hold down your curtains, there are plenty of reasons as to why you should hold on to old keys.